Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Washington Visit

I thought I would share some pictures from my trip to Washington last week. This is my grandma as we were leaving. She has lost a lot of expression in her face, but she tried to smile here for me. I like this pictures. :)



My grandpa took us to an all-you-can eat lutefisk dinner on the way to the airport. For those of you who don't know what lutefisk is, I found the definition on Wikipedia:


"Lutefisk (lutfisk) (pronounced [lʉːtəfɪsk] in Southern Norway, [lʉːtfɪsk] in Central and Northern Norway, Sweden and the Swedish-speaking areas in Finland (lipeäkala in Finnish)) is a traditional dish of the Nordic countries made from stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and soda lye (lut). Its name literally means "lye fish", because it is made with caustic soda or potash lye"


My grandparents love the stuff. I really can't stand it. Somehow I managed to marry into a family that also loves it. Jeremy's family makes me have some each Christmas Eve before I am able to open my presents. I take a small, small amount and eat it with a mouthful of mashed potatoes!









Lutefisk is always served with melted butter and some sort of tasteless white sauce.








Luckily there were also other options at the dinner. I ate potatoes, meatballs, vegetables and lefse. Which is a tortilla-like round made from potatoes that you butter and put sugar on.










Jeremy, dad and I were also able to visit the church were my dad was the pastor until I was about nine years old. The church is over 100 years old and has beautiful stained glass windows. The sun was almost down by the time we got there and it was tough to get good pictures. I had to turn the lights on for the pictures of the altar.






























3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Wow! I just drool thinking about lutefisk - - and now I've seen a picture of it. YUM! Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted the pictures of church. They bring back so many memories. Makes me think about playing on the steps while mom practiced the organ. It all looks just the same, even down to the bullet hole in the window. I'm sure I'm about the only one who will notice it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:50 AM

    Hey there. I just arrived here by chance, from twitter. Beautiful pictures of the church. I wish I could share some of the ones I have that were taken in Norway but I haven't posted them since my blog is mainly about my baby. The church in my husbands home town is over 900 years old.

    What I really wanted to say though was that even in Norway (my husband is Norwegian) I don't know of anyone who eats lutefisk! I think it's like an old people thing these days.. Have you ever had the displeasure of eating fish pudding? If you get the chance don't do it! I bit into some once thinking it was cheese. I had to just smile and try not to gag. I haven't tried lutefisk but I can imagine it would be the same scenario :)

    ReplyDelete